Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Mission (in detail)

Hello again :)

So as you would have read in my earlier post, I have set myself a mission for today.

It all started yesterday when suddenly just as I was about to go to sleep...at like 2 in the morning :P, I really felt like doing something about my procrastination.

Man..have I told you about my procrastination? It's really bad. Like...at the start of the holidays, I had set in my mind all these things that I had to get done. And I was feeling good about it and everything. But...day after day I would do none of it and only sat at home, watching dramas, bumming around, eating, sleeping and oh, did i mention eating? :P And like, sometimes I would wake up and feel like working hard and I would make up a list of things to do in my head and I would be so determined to do it. But by the end of the day, I would've done nothing. And I would brush it aside, saying I still had time.

But yesterday night, I realised that I didn't have time. There was only 2 days of holiday left and I was over my head with work that needed to be done. I was sick and tired of always setting myself goals and never actually achieving them. Am I really that sad? Can I really not complete even the simplest of simplest goals? If I couldn't even do these, what would I do when I had bigger, better goals? Would I just cast them aside like I did to the small goals? And then what? Where would I be in life? No where.

So I decided that something needed to be done. Something needed to change. So I couldn't do stuff by just thinking about it in my head. I should do something different. Try something new. I remembered my friend Lucy mentioning in her blog once that she loved to make "to-do lists" and cross out things when she'd finished them. It's something that helped her to get her things done. Of course, I didn't exactly do that because I knew it wouldn't work. The stuff I needed to get done took heaps of time and if I tried to finish them one at a time, I would never finish.

I decided that I needed a timetable to keep me on track. So yesterday, I spent a little bit of time writing out a draft timetable. And this morning, I refined it a little bit.

So my timetable looks something like this:

Mission
10-12: Japanese
12-12:30: Break
12:30-2:30: Maths
2:30-3: Break
3-4:30: Modern History
4:30-5: Break
5-7: Business
7-7:30: Break
7:30-11: Unfinished Hw
11~: Free time :)

DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!
DO NOT STOP!
DO NOT GET DISTRACTED!
FOCUS!
GO! GO! GO!
AZA AZA FIGHTING!

I know, it's rather rough. But it's what I'm using as a sorta guide to get me moving and working. During my breaks, I can either shower, eat or bludge.

So I woke up at 9 this morning (the earliest I've woken up in a while) and brushed my teeth and had my breakfast. I still had some time left before the mission actually began so I sorta cleaned up a little, set what I was going to start with on my desk and played a little bit of piano :P

And then it began. I've completed japanese and maths. But no, I have not totally and utterly completed everything of each of those subjects coz I would need longer than 2 hours to complete that. But I'm feeling really proud of myself. For actually being productive and actually getting work done. During breaks I have had a shower (which I realised, takes me nearly half an hour! I really need to speed things up in there) and had lunch. I found that it's not that hard for me to get stuck into stuff once I get my head round to it. Although, I can't help but look at the time every now and then to see if it's time for my break yet. But it was sorta hard not to respond to the calls to my name. But I managed and got through 4 hours of work. I realised that 30 minute breaks aren't that long but that's something that I don't think I can change. And I also noticed that 2 hours is also not that long. You could do a far bit in 2 hours, but there is also not too much that you can finish in 2 hours so you need to really work hard and get focused if you want to get a lot done.

So...I've also finished my modern history section. I dunno if you've noticed but it's a little shorter in terms of time frame than the rest of the subjects and that's because I only had to complete my half finished essay and that shouldn't need 2 hours. In fact, it took my only an hour to do. Leaving my 30 minutes to spare. Of course, I need to rewrite it out onto the sheet that my teacher gave me but I wanna make sure some of the info towards the end if right so i need to double check with my friend before i do that. And she only goes online at night I think so I'll have to finish the essay during my "unfinished hw" period.

So yeah...with the 30 minutes I had remaining, I decided to extent my break and make it an hour. I really wanted to blog about what I was doing today coz I felt really good about it. Hence, the really quick version of it in the previous post because I was really impatient to wait until now to tell you guys. Of course, once I allowed myself the 1 hour break, I immediately hopped onto my blog and started typing. Don't you guys just feel so loved?

Ha! My little sister a while ago had been asking me what I was doing on my blog instead of working. And when I replied that I had given myself an extra 30 minutes of break time, she has questioned whether I had finished ALL my hw. Pssch...she acts as if she is control of what I do! Meh

Anyways...I think this timetable is really working for me, it's allowing me to get work done and I feel really happy and satisfied!

I should go now, coz I wanna actually do something a little more fun before I go back to work...not that blogging is not fun but...you know...

Bye bye

~Aurora

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice darling. i should be doing a list like that too.

Carmen said...

haha jenny would be proud of you. so am i. i did that once and ran out of steam. I was too kind to myself.