Friday, July 16, 2010

Banana pancakes


You guys probably all remember my pancake making only a couple of days ago of some simple pancakes. Today at dinner, while my mum was telling us to eat more bananas since we had some at home, I was struck with the memory of the delicious banana pancakes that Laurean, my food tech buddy, had made during one of our practical food tech lessons back in yr 8 or 9. They were delicious and since then I have always been meaning to try to make them. But it seems like I've never really had the chance.

Well...after my mum's urgings to eat bananas, I decided to finally take up the challenge and make them. I've been searching around for recipes and finally found one that is quite to my liking. Here it is below:

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 tablespoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Directions

1. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt
2. In separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas
3. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture

I was reading the reviews and I decided to add a few touches to the recipe, under the guidance of what the reviewers had to say. I decided to add 1/2 teaspon of vanilla extract because it is suppose to make the pancakes taste more delicious. Also, apparently some reviewers said that the pancakes were a little mushy, so I am gonna change 2 ripe bananas to 1 1/2 bananas and see how that goes. It was also suggested that all the dry ingredients be sifted to ensure  smoother pancakes so I shall do that.

And last but not least, I was reminded to keep a low temperature flame while cooking the pancakes because when I cooked the other pancakes, some turned out a little burnt. I am also not going to use butter when frying my pancakes because, also due to the high temperature flame, the butter burnt and ended up making the pancakes taste a little bitter. I think I shall used oil instead to make it safer.

I know that usually all-purpose flour constitutes to plain flour and I usually use plain flour for my pancakes, but one of the reviewers said that they used self-raising flour and it turned out well. I am tossing between using plain flour or self-raising flour. If anyone could give me a tip towards which flour would be a better alternative, hopefully before the end of the night since I am making it tomorrow morning, it would be much appreciated :)

Other than that, I hope you guys have a lovely rest of the day. And maybe you guys can try the recipe too!

I'll make sure to take pictures of the final results and post them up to let you guys see how I did.

~Aurora

No comments: