Monday, July 12, 2010

Sophie Scholl

I just finished watching Sophie Scholl for my english speech. It is honestly a very sad, courageous and true story. She really was a strong hearted, brave girl who stood by her ideas and beliefs till the very end despite what others said. In the movie, even the investigator who was questioning her found her admirable and it could be seen at times that he was very much moved by what Sophie had to say. He even gave her an oppotunity to give all the blame onto her brother who was one of the founders of the White Rose organisation that she was in, in order to save herself. But of course, she courageously denied, saying that she took every part in it. Now, that may not have happened in real life, I'll have to research into that to find out, but stuff like that is really admirable.

It was definitely a fantastic movie which paid homage to Sophie Scholl, who scarificed her life in order to bring to the attention of the German people that what Hitler did was not the right way to go. I'm really glad to be doing this as my english speech and hopefully I'll be able to give Sophie Scholl the credit she deserves.

Sophie Scholl died at only 22 years of age on 22 February 1943. Her last words were:
How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?

~Aurora

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was just reading an article about the White Rose movement and found your blog. It is awesome that you gave a speech about Sophie Scholl as she, her brother and friend were very courageous! I watched the movie: Sophie Scholl: final days and it made me more sad!! but at the same time I was proud of her, her brother and friend for standing up to the Nazi party and helping many others from their brutality and also by helping the Allied Forces win over the Nazis and preventing more people from dying. I was just in Munich and stayed by the Ludwing Maximillian Uni of Munich and walking there made me think about what they must have gone through. I'm leaving in Berlin for a little bit but will return to Munich to pay my respects.

Erika from Boston, MA




Erika